Sunday 18 March 2012

Sour Cream Banana Chocolate Chip Cake

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I couldn't post last week, it was a bit overwhelming and hectic.  I love my new job but it is not always nine to five and the week before last was a very busy and long one.  I did cook on the weekend but had no time for pictures and writing.

Andrew has done well this week cooking from my blog.  He made Perogies, Grillades, Hamburgers and Burritos.

Yesterday I made a bread in the morning and treated my family for dinner with my first paycheck.

Today I baked my favorite cake, Sour Cream Banana Chocolate Chip Cake.  It is also a favourite of Lauren`s friend Graham.  He now lives in Toronto but I could probably get him on the train if he knew I was baking his cake.

I made cupcakes out of this recipe for a catering job I had once and iced them with a banana butter-cream icing - Yumm!  I also made this cake for Lauren`s first birthday without the chocolate chips in two 8 inch round pans and iced it with chocolate butter-cream icing - also delicious.

I freeze any overripe bananas for baking.  In my old freezer I kept them on the door.  If I opened my freezer and the bananas fell on my head it was time to make this cake.  I now have a bottom mount freezer so I am free to make the cake anytime!!

This cake originates in the Pleasure of your Processor Cookbook with a couple of adaptations from me.
It is delicious moist flavourful cake.  I sometimes make it in two loaf pans and I freeze one, you can make it in a 9" square pan or as I do in a bunt pan.  My cousin Myrna gave me a really nicely designed bunt pan which works perfectly for this cake.

I use milk chocolate chips, you can use semi sweet if you prefer.


Sour Cream Banana Chocolate Chip Cake

Preheat oven to 350
Grease (spray) a 9” square pan or, my favorite a bundt pan or two loaf pans, for that matter I have even made cupcakes with this batter.

Ingredients
½ cup butter cut into chunks
1 ¼ cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 large very ripe bananas
1 tsp. baking soda
¾ cups sour cream
1 tsp. baking powder
2 cups flour
1 package milk chocolate chips (you can use semi sweet if you prefer)

Instructions
In 2 cup measuring cup mix sour cream and baking soda.
In food processor with steel knife process butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until creamy.  Add bananas though the feed tube while machine is running, just until mixed in.  Add sour cream mixture and pulse until just mixed in.  Add flour and baking powder and pulse until just barely mixed in.  Add chocolate chips and mix in with spoon.
Note: the less you mix in the dry ingredients the lighter the cake.
Scrape batter into pan and bake for 50 minutes.


2 comments:

  1. Marsha ! I am a good friend of Susan's here on Kibbutz Beit Hashita ! I love your recipes, and comments and now that Pesach vacation is coming up I'll have time to bake and make !You do a grand job !Keep it up ! Chag Sameach

    ReplyDelete
  2. great blog !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete