Sunday 26 February 2012

Shrimp and Feta Pasta - another 1/2 hour wonder

It has been a busy day.  I am getting ready to start my first full time job in 21 years and I lead a craft this morning with Naomi's Hebrew School class.
Andrew is going to cook dinners.  We made up a menu for the week and I went to the grocery to make sure he had everything he needs.
I will to prep in the morning as although we have lived in our house for 18 years and most of the time everything has been kept in the same place, Andrew has trouble finding anything that is not in the front of the cupboard or fridge.  If it is not in his sight line he cannot find it.
He is going to be cooking from my blog.  I will let you know how he does.
The big bag of cooked shrimp were on sale at Costco this week.  Having cooked shrimp on hand means I have quick meals.  Just put them in a bowl of cold water and they are defrosted in about 5 minutes.  Lauren makes herself a salad with shrimp when she comes home from work at 9:30 and I haven't made something she liked.  We also use them for pasta dishes.  As long as you just put them in the sauce long enough to heat them through (no longer) cooked shrimp work great.
Tonight I made one of my favorite pastas.   I got home at 5:30, unpacked the groceries and put them away, made dinner, emptied the dishwasher and we ate at 5:55.

Shrimp and Feta Pasta


Ingredients
500 grams Spaghettini (I use whole wheat)
3 tablespoons olive oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried or 1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano
1 teaspoon dried or 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
1 14 oz can Fire Roasted Tomatoes or two tomatoes chopped
1/2 cup chicken stock
6 oz chopped Feta cheese
1 pound large cooked shrimp (I like to remove the tails)
1/2 cup Italian parsley, chopped

Directions
Prepare Spaghettini according to package directions.  Meanwhile
Heat a large skillet.  Add olive oil, then garlic and if using dried spices, add oregano and basil
Heat for one minute.  Add tomatoes and chicken stock.  Heat to boiling.  Add feta cheese and stir.  When the pasta is cooked add the shrimp, fresh herbs if using and parsley.  Heat through and serve over pasta.








No comments:

Post a Comment