Saturday 4 February 2012

Buttermilk Biscuits - the one I just tried - do you have a recipe to share?

I once made these fabulous biscuits and cannot find what I did with the recipe.  I have been looking for a good biscuit recipe ever since.  If you have one please send it to me.
I made these today.  Naomi's friend Laila is visiting.  She is my surrogate daughter who appreciates me.   Naomi wanted to go out for dinner, Laila want to stay in as she loves my cooking.  This morning I asked the girls if they wanted biscuits for breakfast.  Naomi said no it was OK, Laila said yes please.  This is a recipe I modified from one I found online.

Naomi said they were a bit too light an fluffy.  Laila said they were light and fluffy and delicious.


“Buttermilk” Biscuits made with Soured Milk

Preheat oven to 450

Ingredients
One tablespoon of either vinegar or lemon juice with milk to equal one cup of liquid
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup butter chopped into small chunks

Instructions
Put lemon juice or vinegar in a measuring cup and pour in milk to equal one cup. Set aside.
In a large bowl add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and cream of tarter.  Mix with a wooden spoon.
Add the butter.  Cover your hands with the flour mixture and start rubbing your palms together mixing the butter into the flour until it is still has some pea sized pieces but is mostly incorporated.
Stir in the soured milk and continue stirring only until the mixture forms a ball and begins to hold together.  The dough will be fairly wet. 
Turn out onto a floured surface and pat or roll out to 1/2 or 3/4 inch thick,  dip your cutter (I use plastic cup) and cut into rounds.  Gently gather up the scraps, pat them down and cut them into more rounds.
Line  a cookie sheet with parchment paper.  Arrange biscuits about 1 inch apart.
Bake  for 12 or 15 minutes until golden brown.
Serve with jam.






No comments:

Post a Comment