Wednesday 8 February 2012

Who doesn't like Mac and Cheese?  (aside from my daughter Naomi)
My mother never made it, I first learned to make a white sauce when I was living in Vancouver and shared a house with friends.

When I came back to Toronto (32 years ago!!) I made Mac and Cheese for my family and it became a favorite.  We rarely have a family occasion when dairy is served (my family are kosher) that doesn't have Mac and Cheese on the menu.  When I made a bridal shower for one of my nieces and asked her what she wanted me to make Mac and Cheese was her request!

I once had some ham leftover (I am not kosher) so I chopped it up and put it in the Mac and Cheese before baking.  Andrew loved it and I have been putting it in for him ever since.
I always divide into two casseroles as the girls do not like it with ham.


Tips of the Day: 
  • Make two 8" or 9" casseroles put one in the freezer unbaked.  Take it out the night before you need it and let it defrost in the fridge.  Then you can microwave it for 10 minutes and bake it at 350 for 20 minutes.  
  • If you wonder why I don't use the grater in my food processor for the cheese it is simple - laziness!  I need the blade to process the breadcrumbs and butter for the topping.  If I use the blade for the cheese I don't have to wash the grater.  As long as the cheese is broken up into very small pieces it really doesn't matter what form it takes.
  • If you don't have sharp cheddar cheese, use medium or mild cheddar and mix in a cup of grated Parmesan to give more flavour to the sauce



Mac and Cheese 


Ingredients
450 grams Macaroni cooked
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup butter cut into cubes
1 liter Milk (I use 1%, you can use 2% or whole but I do not recommend skim)
450 grams of extra sharp cheddar or a mix of extra sharp cheddar and Gruyere
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon mustard powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup bread crumbs
2 tablespoons butter

Instructions

Put the water on for the Macaroni and cook according to package directions.

Cut cheese into cubes.  In your food processor with the metal blade add a few cubes of cheese.  Continue to add cheese through the feed tube with the machine running until the cheese is all "grated".   Set aside

Sauce and Noodles
Heat a large pot on medium, add butter and flour.  When butter has melted stir for 2 or 3 minutes to cook the flour a little.  Add milk and stir to incorporate, continue stirring until the sauce comes to a boil and  thickens   Stir in Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder and cheese leaving 1/2 cup of the cheese in the processor.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Put Macaroni into a 9 x 12 casserole dish or 2  9" square or 8" square dishes.  Pour cheese sauce over macaroni and mix.

topping added 
Put breadcrumbs and butter in the processor with the remaining cheese.  Process until blended and pour over casserole(s).

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes

Variation:  Macaroni Ham and Cheese
 Add 2 cups cubed ham to macaroni in casserole, pour cheese sauce over and mix, add topping and bake






No comments:

Post a Comment