Tuesday 14 February 2012

Sicilian Chicken - Breaded Chicken Bathed in Lemon and Garlic


This is an "Oldie" but a "Goodie".  I don't remember where I got the recipe and why I stopped making it.  I don't know why it is called Sicilian Chicken, I always associate lemon, garlic and oregano combinations with Greek food.  I rediscovered it when I asked the girls for ideas of what they would like me to make.  Naomi asked me if I remembered the breaded chicken breast with lemon and garlic.  I was surprised as she doesn't like breaded baked chicken - that child is an enigma.   I did remember Sicilian Chicken.  I made it last night to rave reviews.  I was busy and forgot to make a starch, so in 15 minutes I made brown rice pilaf with olives.  I used brown Minute Rice.  I sauteed 1/2 of an onion in a tablespoon of olive oil, added 2 cups of rice and 2 cups of water, 1/3 cup sliced green olives, 1/3 cup sliced black olives and 1/2 cup chopped Italian Parsley.  


Tip of the Day

  • When you are making anything with breading it is best to bread it and leave it in the fridge to dry.  This helps the breading stick to the meat or fish you are making.  You can do this as little as a 1/2 ahead or in the morning for the evening's dinner.  



Sicilian Chicken  

Ingredients
1 cup bread crumbs
1/3 cup chopped Italian parsley
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp  oregano, 
1 tsp  kosher sea salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 chicken breasts, skin on, bone-in

Sauce
1 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp (5mL) kosher sea salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper

Instructions
Combine bread crumbs with parsley, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Rub chicken with some olive oil and pat crumbs firmly into both sides of chicken. Place in a single layer on parchment lined pan.                              

For sauce, combine garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper. Spoon half the sauce over the chicken and bake in a preheated 400F (200C) oven for 20 minutes. Turn chicken over and drizzle with remaining sauce. Bake 20 to 25 minutes longer, until cooked through, browned and crispy.                                                                     

                            

No comments:

Post a Comment