Saturday 18 February 2012

Lovely Lemon Squares - Lemon Cheesecake on a Shortbread Crust



I was asked to make a lemon dessert for a diabetic.  I found this recipe which was originally made with Splenda.  I made a double recipe and made them in a 9 X 12 pan.  I had extra when I plated it for my client.  The girls loved them (as did my client).   The girls asked me to please make them again. I have adapted the recipe to be made with sugar and adapted the method to make it in the food processor.  The sugar version is a little sweeter but yummy none the less.

When I made them for my client I put a raspberry on top of each square and put each square into a foil cup.  I don't have raspberries today but I have strawberries so I will put 1/2 of a strawberry on each square.


Lovely Lemon Squares
Ingredients
Crust:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 sugar
2/3 cup butter cut into cubes

Filling:
4 oz (1/2 pkg) cream cheese at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest

Directions

Crust Baked
Crust:
Preheat oven to 350°F.  Line an 8” square pan with parchment and spray with Pam.   In your food processor with metal blade combine flour and sugar.  Add butter chunks and process until mixed (crust will remain crumbly and not come together). Press into prepared pan and bake for 18 minutes. Cool completely before filling.

Filling:
Baked Squares before cutting
Reduce oven temperature to 325°F (160°C).  In food processor with metal blade add cream cheese process to soften, add sour cream, sugar, eggs lemon juice and lemon zest.  Process until smooth and our over cooled crust. Bake for 40 minutes, until filling no longer jiggles when pan is moved. Cool to room temperature.  Cool for at least 4 hours before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment