Monday 6 February 2012

Tsippi's Chicken - on the grill with Cous Cous

It is a beautiful day.  Now that the days are a little longer I am able to barbeque.  We had this once at our friend's home.  They called it Tsippi's Chicken because they got the recipe from their friend Tsippi.
I like it because it is fast and flavourful.  When you use a lot of lemon juice you don't need to marinate for a long time.   I love this combination of lemon, cumin and garlic.  You can use a cut up whole chicken, chicken thighs or as I am doing tonight, chicken breasts, bone in, skin on.
I was going to serve this with hash browns but after I cut the peppers and onions I found I was short two potatoes, so I looked in my cupboard and there was cous cous, the food so nice they named it twice.  So I am making cous cous and broccoli to accompany the chicken.  I usually use zucchini in this dish but I didn't have any so I left it out and used a carrot instead, now I will add carrot with the zucchini  I had to stop Andrew and Naomi from eating it all as we had to save some for Lauren who is working and will eat when she gets home.

Today's Tip: You may have noticed broccoli on a lot of my dinner plates.  Broccoli is a favorite of my girls and is also considered a "super food", high in Vitamin C and Vitamin K.  I cut a bunch of broccoli into manageable pieces (little trees) discarding the big "trunks", wash it and put it into a microwave proof dish.  I cover it loosely with wax paper and microwave it on high for 3 - 4 minutes.  This process steams the broccoli, it is easier, takes less time and you can serve it in the dish you cooked it in.
Broccoli has more nutritional value when it is steamed, please go to  http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?dbid=9&tname=foodspice to find all of the benefits of eating steamed broccoli.

Tsippi's Chicken


Ingredients


4 chicken breasts
juice from two lemons
4 cloves garlic minced
1 tablespoon cumin.

Directions


Put lemon juice, garlic and cumin in a zip lock bag.  Add chicken and seal.  Move the bag around to make sure all of the chicken is coated in the marinade.  Refrigerate for 1 hour.
Grill on medium (350 degrees) 30 - 40 minutes.

Marsha's Cous Cous


Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion diced
1 red pepper diced
1 zucchini diced
1 carrot diced
1 cup cous cous
1 cup chicken stock
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon cinnamon
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

Heat a large covered skillet on medium and add olive oil.  Add onions, peppers, zucchini and carrots reduce heat to medium low and cook until softened - about 5 minutes.  Add cumin, cinnamon, salt and pepper and cook for one minute.
Add chicken stock, increase heat to high and bring to a boil.  Add cous cous, remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment