Sunday 19 February 2012

Turkey Burgers with Blue Cheese (or without)

Beef burgers can be made with just beef but burgers made from ground turkey require breadcrumbs and egg to bind them and make them moist.    I like to put in fresh parsley, they look better and it gives a freshness to the burger.  In the summer I put in a variety of herbs from my garden, oregano, basil and/or thyme.  Parsley alone does the trick when I don't have the option to go out and pick a couple of tablespoons of fresh herbs.
You either like blue cheese or you don't.  Adding a little to the burger gives a lot of flavour.  My girls don't like it but Andrew and I do.  Naomi likes hers plain, Lauren will get a slice of Provolone on top.
Mushrooms and bacon (turkey bacon) go well with blue cheese and plain burgers.  I am a condimentaholic, I like everything (except onions) on my burger.  The rest of my family have their various preference of combinations.  We enjoy meals that you can customize to your particular tastes.
I am making sweet potato and regular potato wedges in the oven  (see Jan 19 blog - Breaded Baked Chicken with Roasted Potato Wedges, Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges, Roasted Fennel and Broccoli. ) and a plate of fresh vegetables to accompany the burgers.
I have been using the " multigrain thin" buns for burgers.  I like them because they are healthier and also because your burger is not overwhelmed by bread.

Tip of the day:
  • When you make burgers of any kind form the patties and allow them to chill in the fridge for at least two hours.  If you don't have the time put them in the freezer for 1/2 hour.  This will help the burgers hold together when grilled.
  • My Panini Grill makes the best turkey burgers.  I close the grill and cook the burgers on both sides.  It cooks them quickly and no problem with the burgers falling apart when you turn them.


Turkey Burgers

Ingredients
1 lb ground Turkey (or chicken)
1/3 cup bread crumbs (you can used seasoned bread crumbs if you like)
1 egg
1/2 cup chopped Italian parsley
1 teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste
4 oz crumbled Blue Cheese (optional )
4 oz sliced cooked mushrooms
8 slices cooked crisp bacon (optional)
4 Multigrain "Thin" buns

Directions
covered with wax Paper
In a medium bowl add ground Turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, parsley, salt and pepper.  Mix with your hands to incorporate.  Add crumbled blue cheese if using (I made two before I put the blue cheese in and then made the other two patties after the blue cheese was added).
Cut five sheets of wax paper cover a plate large enough to hold the burger patties.
Dampen your hands and divide the burger mixture into four parts (dampen your hands as needed if the meat is sticking to them).
Cover a plate with wax paper.  Form a patty with one portion, put on the plate and cover with wax paper, stack the next patty on top and cover with wax paper.  Continue with the other two patties.  Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or if you don't have time put them in the freezer for 1/2 hour.
Spray grill with Pam and heat.  When grill is hot place patties on the grill and cover.  Leave for about 10 minutes (the time really depends on your grill).
Serve on buns with bacon and mushrooms.






No comments:

Post a Comment