Saturday 7 January 2012

Bake rice pudding for three hours - Making decorated Shortbread Cookies today

I was in a hurry to post yesterday and I didn't explain, you stir the rice pudding after one hour and then put it back in the oven for two hours.  Then you let it rest for 15 minutes before serving.
We are eating out tonight so I don't have to cook.  I am going to get started on baking for my catering job this month.
I am catering an 85th birthday party Open House on January 22nd, .  The family are close friends of mine and the "birthday girl" is an amazing woman who remarried at 80! This little woman who is crippled by arthritis and needs a walker has traveled the world.  She is truly an inspirational.
It is my pleasure to cater for her.  I will meet with her daughter to discuss my ideas and hers and when I come up with a menu and plan I will share it with you.  The one thing I have already told her I would make is shortbread hearts with 85 piped in white chocolate sprinkled with pink coloured sugar.
I found a recipe for Scottish Shortbread which is less fragile then the one I used to make with cornstarch but still rich and buttery and is easy to roll out.  It is not too sweet which I especially like in a cookie that I am decorating as the decorations add sweetness (chocolate and sugar).  You can make them in any shape and pipe on any decoration or message you like.

Scottish Shortbread


Ingredients

1/2 cup icing sugar
1 cup butter cut into cubes
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3 oz white chocolate chips
1/3 cup pink decorating sugar (you can buy it at the bulk food store)

Directions


Preheat oven to 350
Line cookie sheets with parchment paper

In your food processor with the metal blade:
Add butter and icing sugar and process until well blended.
Add salt, baking powder and flour, process until the dough comes together.
Remove the dough from the food processor and divide into three parts

Place one 1/3 of the dough on a lightly floured board - I use plastic cutting boards that I buy at the dollar store. Lightly flour your rolling pin and roll  to 1/8" thickness and  (scrape off any bits of dough that stick to the rolling pin),
Cut with cookie cutter try position each cookie to get the most out of your sheet of dough.  Use spatula to lift cookies onto cookie sheet leaving 1/4 inch between (the cookies don't spread but you do not want them touching).
Gather up scraps and add them to the next ball of dough. Keep going until the cookie sheet is full.
Bake for about 15 minutes until the edges are lightly browned
Start the next cookie sheet, the first lot should be ready when the second lot are ready to go in.
Yield is about 4 1/2 dozen cookies
Cool cookies before icing                                                         


To Decorate


Place the inside piece of the coupling for your icing tip in the corner of a zip lock bag.  Add white chocolate chips and push them into the same corner, leave the bag open.  Place in microwave and melt the chocolate (my microwave has a :"melt chocolate feature") be very careful as the chocolate will burn so do it on medium and check frequently.
Cut the corner, use a round decorating tip and screw it on.  
Write what ever your message (this time I wrote "85", I have written birthdays, anniversaries baby names and initials)
Sprinkle with coloured sugar and shake off excess (sugar should only stick to the chocolate)
Place on tray to set.
Once the chocolate has set you can layer it into plastic containers, separating each row with a layer of wax paper.

The cookies keep for a week or can be frozen.
They freeze well.

No comments:

Post a Comment