Saturday 14 January 2012

Chocolate Babka

We are eating out tonight.  I am baking for my catering job next week.  
Chocolate Babka is a favorite with my family, when I cater and at the Synagogue.
I use a sweet yeast dough made with butter and eggs.
I first saw a recipe by Martha Stewart.  I have since adapted (several times) to and have gotten it down pat.
Sweet yeast dough does not rise as much as bread dough.  You need all of your ingredients at room temperature.
I always forget to take out the eggs so I microwave them for about 20 seconds on medium.  I also soften my butter in the microwave.  Do not melt it or you won't use as much water and the dough will be denser.
The secret to making Chocolate Babka is twisting it. The twisting swirls the chocolate mixture into the dough. Don't be afraid if it starts to break a little, that is your sign that you have twisted enough.
The other thing I learned by trial and error is to spray my loaf pan with non stick spray and line it with parchment paper leaving an overhang which will allow me to pull the loaf out of the pan.  The chocolate does stick.  I run a knife around the ends before even attempting to lift it out.
I have a large 5 1/2 X 11 1/2 loaf pan that works well with three cups of flour.  I got two of these from my mother and have never seen that size anywhere else.  I am using it today as I only have to make one and I have fewer ends for less waste.  The ends taste as good as the rest, they just don't look nice when plated. I usually cut each piece in half when I am plating it for an event.
I make the dough, then just wipe down the processor (you don't have to wash it) and make the topping which I put into a bowl.  Then (without washing the processor) I make the chocolate filling and put into a bowl.  Then I wash the processor.


Chocolate Babka 


Ingredients


Dough
1 tablespoon quick rise yeast dissolved in ¼ cup hot water with ½ teaspoon sugar
3 cups flour
½ cup softened butter
2 eggs at room temperature
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup sugar
1/2 cup hot tap water

Filling
1 package – 8 squares semi sweet chocolate
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Topping
1 beaten egg
1.4 cup icing sugar
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour

Instructions


Dissolve yeast and sugar in water and set aside.
In food processor, add flour, sugar, butter, salt, and eggs
When yeast mixture is foamy add to processor
Run food processor, and while machine is running at hot water (about ½ cup) through feed tube until dough forms into a ball.
Process until dough is smooth (about 30 seconds)
Place dough in greased bowl and cover plastic wrap.
Let rise for one hour.

Mix topping – Add icing sugar, butter and flour to processor and process until blended  (I do this before the chocolate mixture so I don’t have to wash the processor in between).  Set aside

Mix filling – Add chocolate (broken into pieces) sugar and cinnamon to processor and process until powdery (when it stops making a racket it is done)  Set aside

Cut dough in half

Roll ½ of the dough to ¼ inch thickness.  Spread half of the chocolate mixture leaving ¼ inch border all around and press into dough.  Seal edges as you roll dough and seal the seam when done.  Twist rolled dough as much as you can (it may split in places, just try to contain it as best you can).  Fold each end in and twist again about 3 or four times.




Place in 8 x 4 loaf pan and repeat with other half of dough which has been sprayed with non stick spray and lined with parchment paper.  Leave an overhang so you can lift out the loaf

Let rise for one hour. Brush with egg wash and top with ½ of topping, bake at 350 for about 40 minutes (loaves should be brown)


Freezes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment