Tuesday 3 January 2012

Day two its freezing out and I have a turkey carcass - Gumbo tonight with Cornbread

We are having the first cold weather watch of the winter today, the high is 9 below.  Trying to better use my time  I actually made a list before going out shopping yesterday.  There are two tricks to shopping with a list.  First of all you have to remember to put the things you need on the list (Okra was missing).  Then you have to remember to refer to the list in your pocket when you are in the store.  I forgot to buy onions, a kitchen staple which are needed in almost every recipe I make.
So this morning out I went in the freezing cold to not one but two stores as the first store I went to did not have either fresh or frozen Okra.
Why you may ask was Okra even on my list and why was it so necessary?  Because I have a turkey carcass in the fridge and therefore it is time to make Gumbo.
Truthfully I love grocery shopping.  I guess it is because with my family in the grocery business I spent a lot of time in the stores.  I find grocery shopping comforting.  My love of cooking and eating contribute to that as well of course.  I live less than five minutes from a Walmart Supercentre, a Great Canadian Superstore, Longos.  If I want to go just a couple of minutes further there are two Metros and when I am really adventurous I can drive the seven minutes to Costco.  Next to that is Starsky's which is this wonderful European supermarket with tons of samples.  I also love to go to Whole Foods (also less than a ten minute drive), mostly for samples.  You can buy stuff there you can't find elsewhere and they have good bread.  We would have to consider a second mortgage if I wanted to buy meat or fish.
The only problem is list or no list I never come home empty handed and rarely spend less than $30.00.  This can really add up!!

My first recipe today is for my "bam" the spice mix I use for Gumbo, Wings, Chicken, and Potatoes.

Marsha's Spice Mix
Equal portions of:
Cumin
Adobo seasoned salt
Garlic
Hot Pepper flakes
and half portion of
Thyme
Oregano

Turkey and Sausage Gumbo


A great use for a Turkey Carcass and very "tummy warming" for a cold day.  This is a hearty meal in a bowl.



My friend from Louisiana taught me you don't need fat to make a roux.  You get the richness and thickening of a brown roux with less fat.
My other tip for making any soup that involves bones is to wrap them in cheesecloth and tie with string.  This saves having to strain the soup.

Ingredients


2 tablespoons olive oil
2 Onions chopped
2 large cloves garlic chopped
1 green pepper chopped in bite size chunks
1 red pepper chopped in bite size chunks
2 tablespoons or more to taste Marsha's spice mix

1 cup flour
2 litres water
1 can diced tomatoes (I run them through the food processor as my daughter does not like chunks - your choice)
2 small or one medium package frozen Okra
1 six inch piece of Kielbasas cut into small cubes (I use turkey kielbasas as my daughters don't eat pork)
1 turkey carcass, discard all skin and meat, chop the meat and put in a zip lock for later then wrap the turkey bones in cheese cloth and tie with string.

cooked rice

Directions

In a skillet on medium heat add olive oil, when oil is heated add onions, peppers and garlic and cook until softened. Stir in spice mix and set on low until ready to use.

In a stock pot add flour and cook on medium, stirring constantly until flour is light brown (takes about 5 minutes).
Add water, tomatoes, Kielbasas, Okra and the vegetables in the skillet (use a spatula to get every bit).  Drop wrapped Turkey carcass.
Simmer on low heat for at least 3 hours.  If you are leaving it longer turn it to low.


20 minutes before serving:
Make rice (1 cup rice, 2 cups water)
Remove wrapped carcass and place in strainer over bowl.
Add chopped turkey to Gumbo.
Pour any liquid in the bowl with the carcass back into the soup.

Put a scoop of rice in each bowl and fill with Gumbo.

Nothing goes better with a spicy soup than Corn Bread.  I have tried a lot of recipes.  The one below is my favorite at this time.


Homesteader Cornbread

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups cornmeal
2 1/2 cups milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). In a small bowl, combine cornmeal and milk; let stand for 5 minutes. Grease a 9 x13 inch baking pan.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Mix in the cornmeal mixture, eggs and oil until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment