Tuesday 31 January 2012

Blueberry Coffee Cake


I am out to dinner with friends tonight.  There is leftover lasagna for Andrew and the girls.
There is no dessert in the house so I am making a cake.Blueberries were on sale today so Blueberry cake it is.  Blueberries are Andrew's favorite and they are repeatedly ranked in the as having one of the highest antioxidant capacities among all fruits, vegetables.  You can find more information about the wonderful values of blueberries at http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?dbid=8&tname=foodspice.




I am sure that putting the blue between butter, flour and sugar is not the most nutritional way to eat blueberries but is is one of the most delicious.
I bought a big container so we can have blueberries on our cereal and with our yogurt.


This recipe is for a 9 x 13 cake.  I didn't want such a big cake so I made two 9" cakes.  I would have preferred to make 8" cakes but I couldn't find my other pan!  The cakes are a little thinner!  I wish putting me in a bigger size worked out the same but....

This is the only sour cream cake I have made where you don't mix the sour cream with baking soda - odd but it works.

The blueberries sink so that is why I say to spread 2/3 of the batter in the pans before adding the blueberries and hope they come out in the middle.  You will find this a very stiff batter, not to worry it makes a very moist cake.  I glop the batter onto the blueberries and then put the topping on.  I press the topping to even the cake.


Blueberry Coffee Cake

Preheat oven to 375


Ingredients


Cinnamon Topping
1-cup sugar
2/3-cup flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup butter cut into small pieces
½ cup chopped pecans - optional
Cake
½ cup butter cut into chunks
1 ½ cups sugar
2 eggs
1-cup sour cream
3 cups flour
2 tsp. baking power
½ tsp. salt\
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries or 1 cup raspberries and 1 cup blueberries
Or 2 cups frozen mixed berries

Instructions
Topping


In processor with steel blade, process ingredients for topping until crumbly.
Put in bowl and set aside
In processor (no need to wash bowl from topping mixture) add butter, sugar and eggs, process until creamy.
Add sour cream just until mixed in.
Pulse in dry ingredients just until blended.
Spray a 9 X 13 baking pan or 2 8" or 9" square baking pans with non stick spray and line with parchment paper
First layer of batter
Spread 2/3 of the batter into the pan.
Spread berries over the batter
Carefully spread the rest of the batter over the cake (note this is a very stiff batter - sort of glop it on as evenly as you can)
Cover with topping.  Press down a little to even the batter .
Bake for 1 hour.

Let cake sit for 10 minutes.  Remove cake from pan by holding edges of the parchment paper.

Blueberries on top
Put onto plateand slide parchment paper from under the cake.

I put the one for the freezer into an extra large zip lock bag right on the plate.  I can take it out when I need it  and serve or take it as a hostess gift.
Second layer of cake

Topping added



Packaged for the freezer









No comments:

Post a Comment