Thursday 19 January 2012

Freezing outside - Roasting in here - Roasted Chicken, Potatoes, Cauliflower and Broccoli


I am making what Naomi calls a "Roasted Dinner".  I have been busy acquiring all I need for Sunday's party and I am tired from running around.  I am opting for a fast easy but very delicious meal.
I ran across a chicken that was on sale and then reduced 30% so it is Roasted Chicken for dinner tonight.  I roast the chicken in the convection oven on a rack with the potatoes below.  If you don't have a convection oven just put the potatoes beside the chicken as I do when I make it on the barbeque.
If you don't have Sweet Smoked Paprika use regular Paprika.  I do strongly recommend using the Sweet Smoked Paprika as it gives the chicken a lovely smokey flavour.  You can buy it in most Supermarkets and at the Bulk Barn.
I am also roasting cauliflower (I finally found some at a reasonable price in the reduced section) and broccoli  because you have to have something green with your meals.
The meal takes about 10 minutes to prepare and cooks unattended.  It is a nice homely dinner to make for guests.  It is in the oven when they arrive (smells wonderful) and requires little fussing to serve.
Naomi is mad because I am not baking today, she always gets to eat the "ugly" ones when I am baking for a catering job.  Today I am taking the day off from baking.
Tomorrow she may get lucky!!

Roasted Chicken and Potatoes


Ingredients
1 4-5 Pound Chicken (Fryer)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp Sweet Smoked Paprika
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1 tsp granulated Garlic
1 tsp sugar
4 potatoes

Instructions
Heat oven to 350 convection or 375 regular
Cut off wing tips and any excess skin and discard.  Wash chicken inside and out and pat dry.
In a small bowl, mix olive oil, paprika, salt, garlic and sugar.
Rub mixture all over the chicken lifting the skin on the breast and rubbing the spices into the breast meat.
Cut potatoes into 6 pieces (my family likes wedges)
Lay potatoes on parchment lined baking pan.  Place rack on pan and put chicken on the rack above the potatoes.
Cook for 1 1/2 hour
Let rest at least 10 minutes before cutting it up.
Remove wings, then legs, then thighs and carve the breast into slices



Roasted Cauliflower and Broccoli  
Ingredients                                                                                      
1 head broccoli
1 head cauliflower
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon Kosher salt







Instructions
Remove stems from broccoli and cut into florets                                      
Remove core and any leaves from cauliflower and cut into florets
Place broccoli and cauliflower into a plastic bag with olive oil and salt and shake until lightly coated
Place on parchment lined baking pan
Bake at 350 for one hour.  You can bake it with the chicken just watch that it isn't getting too brown in the second half hour.  Cover with foil if it is browning before it softens.
I pull the parchment out from under the vegetables to serve.






No comments:

Post a Comment