Monday 23 January 2012

A one pan 30 minute meal - Perogies in Tomato sauce with Sausage (optional) and Peppers

Something quick and easy tonight.  This dish is 1/2 hour from preparation to the table.  I have everything I need for tonight's dinner, no shopping required today.
This one pan wonder is a fast, easy and hearty dinner. I once went to a restaurant which served a similar dish.  I enjoyed it and though "I can make that" and have been doing so for more than ten years.  I put sausage in but it is very tasty without it.  I also use a seasoned tomatoes in a can - saves time.  Buy which ever one suits your taste.


Yesterday's event was lovely.
I took pictures of the table which I am posting today. (below today's recipe).  I made everything except the birthday cake.  I have not mastered the art of cake decorating.  It is something I have always wanted to learn and plan to take a course one day.   The birthday girl's name was Lily, I found napkins with lilies and decorated the table with lilies and greens - "first you eat with your eyes".  I made "tent cards" and labeled each dish.  I thought it would be helpful with all of the allergies and sensitives and everyone really appreciated it.    There were a lot of pastries left, the most popular item on the table were the party sandwiches.   Our Social Action Committee which my client chairs is having a dinner to raise funds for the Women of Afghanistan charity.  This charity has no overhead.  100% of all donations go to Afghanistan to support a school where the girls go in the morning and the boys go in the afternoon.  We will freeze the leftover pastries and use them for the upcoming dinner.

Perogies in Tomato Sauce with Sausage and Peppers

Ingredients 

1 tablespoon olive oil
4 Italian sausages, hot or mild sliced in 1/4 inch rounds
1 onion diced
2 cloves garlic minced (mince while onions are softening)
1 sliced pepper - any colour - (slice while onions are softening)
1 can  540 ml seasoned tomatoes (Fire Roasted, Italian, Spicy Red Pepper or Garlic and Olive oil)
1 package Perogies - 907 grams -  (what ever flavour you like - we prefer the Chimo brand)

Instructions


In a skillet that has a cover, heat pan on high and add olive oil.  Add sausage and cook until browned.  Reduce heat to medium.  Add onions and cook until softened.   Add garlic and peppers and tomatoes.  Put perogies on top of the tomatoes bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium low, cover and let cook for about 15 minutes.  Stir, mixing perogies with the sauce and serve.

                                                     
 


Party Pictures




 


1 comment: