Wednesday 18 January 2012

Meat Ball Sandwich and Banana Crumb Muffins

Tonight it is just the two of us for dinner.  I have meatballs and sauce in the freezer which I packed away in a 2 sandwich portion.  When I made spaghetti and meatballs I make lots.  Meatball sandwiches are my favorite so when the girls (who do not eat beef) are away...  Not healthy but so delicious.

Last night I made the Southwest Chicken, Brown Rice and Bean casserole.  When I told Naomi I had made the casserole for dinner she said that she did not like it.  She told me she said she liked it the last time I made it as she did not want to hurt my feelings.  At dinner Naomi realized she did like it, took seconds and asked if there was any more later in the evening!! 

Lauren said she would write a comment on the blog "looks bad but tastes great".  Lauren checks my blog when she is working to see what she is going to get for dinner when she comes home!

I am baking Mini Banana Crumb Muffins.  I am making these for my catering job on Sunday.
My client said she would like something plain for those who are looking for a less rich dessert could I make a muffin.  As I tell my girls muffins are just little cakes.  They do not have less calories than other cake desserts.   Perception is everything so I know that people who want to watch their calories will take a little muffin instead of a cookie.

Making the muffins mini cuts the calories by cutting the potion size, otherwise you might as well eat a piece of cake.

These are really good muffins

Mini Banana Crumb Muffins  

Preheat oven to 375
Ingredients
Topping                                                                   
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter
1/3 cup packed brown sugar

Muffins
3 bananas, mashed
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt



Directions
Line muffin tin with paper liners and spray with Pam (spraying the liners keeps the muffins from sticking to them)                                                      
In food processor mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of flour, cinnamon and 1 tablespoon of butter until crumbly, put in a small bowl and set aside
In food processor, add sugar, egg, melted butter and banana and process until smooth.
Add flour, baking soda and baking powder and pulse just until blended (be careful not to over blend)
Fill muffin cups. Makes 36 mini muffins or 10 regular sized muffins.
Bake in for  13-15 minutes for mini muffins and 18 to 20 minutes for regular sized muffins, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.  Use a spoon to help remove the muffins from the pan.


 






                                                                   


Meatball Sandwich
for two sandwiches

2 large Italian buns
8 meatballs with 2 tablespoons of sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 red pepper thinly sliced
10 mushrooms thinly sliced
hot pepper flakes and salt to taste
3 slices provolone cheese

Heat frying pan on medium and add olive oil.  When hot add mushrooms and peppers and cook until mushrooms are cooked and peppers are softened.  Season with hot pepper and salt to taste

Cut buns in half but do not cut right through (like a hot dog bun)    
Half each of the slices of cheese put one half on each side of the bun
Fill with half of the meatballs and 1 tablespoons sauce, half the pepper and mushroom mix and put the last half of cheese in the middle.
Wrap each sandwich in foil and bake ( I use the toaster oven) at 350 for about 15 minutes until the cheese has melted.


No comments:

Post a Comment