Thursday 26 January 2012

Food Processor - my most essential kitchen tool

Today is our anniversary, 21 years of marriage.  So far so good.
We are going out for a nice dinner at a good restaurant to celebrate.  The girls are on their own tonight.

Anyone who has been reading my blog will have noted that I use my food processor for baking.
In the early 80's Noreen Gilletz wrote a cookbook called The Pleasures of your Food Processor.  This wonderful book taught me how to use my processor.  I know so many people who have food processors and never use them.  To me it is the most essential tool in the kitchen.

The wonderful Noreen Gilletz in her book taught me the methods of baking with a food processor.  Using her methods I can adapt (and do adapt) most recipes to be made in my food processor.  The only things that the processor does not do is whip egg whites or cream.  Other than that anything that requires chopping, shredding, slicing or mixing can be done in a food processor.  Fast, easy and easy to clean, I love my processor.

I am on my third Cuisinart in thirty years.  The one I have now is  12 years old and is the 12 cup size.  I highly recommend getting the big one if you are purchasing a processor.  You need a big one if you want to make large cakes or breads.  The only other processor I would recommend buying is the new KitchenAid 13 cup.  I don't know anyone who has one but the brand is good quality and the features look cool!

I recently spent an evening making 20 pounds of potatoes into potato latkes with 12 women and 4 different brands of food processors (no one had a KitchenAid).   We were making dinner for 80 needy people at a local charity.  My aged well worn Cuisinart was twice as fast as any of the other machines.

I call it my "war horse".  I have had to get service on it twice - my fault both times - both times, bowl issues, nothing to do with the motor.  I took it to Cuisinart's service center in Brampton and both times they were able to fix it while I was there for a nominal amount.  Both times were at least 5 years after the warranty expired.

In the recipes on my blog.  I am trying to impart the same wisdom Noreen imparted to me in her book.  I am trying to cook with you step by step giving you the methods to enable anyone trying my recipes to be able to make them successfully in their food processor.  Once you have tried it you won't go back!!

Every year I look at the KitchenAid mixers.  I know they are a kitchen essential for most bakers.  I can never justify buying one.  I have a portable mix master for beating egg whites and cream.  I don't know what I would make that I don't already make in my food processor.
 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Marsha - everything looks so incredibly delicious - and I especially love how you show in pictures the step-by-steps! One question....what about for those of us who leave in the morning and don't get home until supper time? I know that we can prepare ahead, freeze and defrost some of the food, but any thoughts/suggestions for slow-cooker type food?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to try to publish more very quick cook and slow cooker meals. You can make my Chili and the Bean and Vegetable soup in the processor.
    Double your recipes when making casseroles or soups. Freeze them then take them out the night before and leave in the fridge. They will be ready to reheat or bake when you get home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry I said the processor instead of the slow cooker!!

      Delete